Monday, June 27, 2011

Relearning how to do life... San Juan style

So living here in San Juan for the last 4 months has taught me a lot of things.  Mostly things that I had already learned but apparently I there are other ways to do them.  For instance communication, no longer done in English and unfortunately Spanish is not easy for me. So I would like to take this time to share some important lessons.

1) The only thing that really matters when talking about road safety is one question: "did you get in an accident?".  If the answer is "no" then you did a good job driving.  Along with that, it is also it is your responsibility to do everything you can to avoid hitting someone or getting hit. Your horn tends to be insanely useful and isn't intended to communicate anger but caution.  

2) Children are very durable.  I was lead to believe that they are actually quite fragile and if they fall down you should take them to the hospital and have an MRI done.  I have seen kids here wipe out from hanging onto a truck while riding a bike, get nailed by a baseball, and play with whips in such ways that they make Indiana Jones look like a giant noob (and sometimes things go poorly).  These kids bite it hard and then get up and do it again, no fuss or anything.

3) It's ok to shake everyone's hand.   In San Juan when you meet someone or to say hi, physical touch seems to be not only an expectation but a requirement.  At first I was a little freaked out, but after awhile I see that it actually makes the "get to know you" process much faster and more pleasant.  You can also get creative when your hands are dirty with things like elbow bumps, which is always fun.

We'll unfortunately that;s all I have time for right now.  There are many more examples but each one reinforces a very important lesson that there are other ways to do life and it's not too late to learn a new one.  
On a somewhat related note, I wonder what is was like for Jesus to learn how to do things all over when he became man.  Really annoying I bet.  But the effort I think was worth it.

-Daniel

1 comment:

  1. Very well said Dan! I'm glad we get to be down here to do life with you and Kari too!

    ReplyDelete