Tuesday, December 6, 2011

It's the most wonderful time of the year... 
the hap-happiest season of all!

Awesome Nativity display in the center of town-
complete with the world's homeliest stuffed donkey



"She really masculine looking... but still oddly attractive"
(Dan's comments regarding creepy Mrs. Claus statue)


So, of course, I've been trying to get myself into the spirit of the season.

I've been listening to Christmas music- Blaring my Burl Ives to try to compete with the mix of Pitbull and bachata that is coming from my neighbors house. I made hot cocoa last night- despite the fact that I was definitely sweating over the stove while I heated it up. And today I watched the Grinch while I helped Dan clean his snorkel gear in preparation for a trip to an abandoned beach to go spear-fishing.

The fact that Christmas season looks a little different here in the Caribbean hadn't bothered me much until today- now it is making me a sentimental fool. Gosh darn it- I want the magic!

Of course there's the twinkly lights and lightly falling snow kind of magic- but I think right now I'm missing the magic of the anticipation. Every day in December is bringing me closer to something WONDROUS and I want to FEEL it!

I'd like to blame it on the sun, the palm trees and the fact that NO night in San Juan has, is or ever will be a SILENT night...
But the truth, as usual, comes back to me.

"You have been believers so long now that you ought to be teaching others. Instead, you need someone to teach you again the basic things about God’s word.You are like babies who need milk and cannot eat solid food. For someone who lives on milk is still an infant and doesn’t know how to do what is right. Solid food is for those who are mature, who through training have the skill to recognize the difference between right and wrong."
(Hebrews 5:12-14)


I've been SO hungry for Jesus lately, but haven't had a clue what to do about it. It occurred to me that for the first time in my life, no one is spoon-feeding me Jesus. I'm not picking up spirituality through osmosis like I could back in the states. Holy by association isn't going to work. Begrudgingly I have concluded that it might be time for me to stop whining and figure out how to feed myself some solid food.

If this Christmas is going to be meaningful, it wont be for any great sermon I hear, it will be because I (Mrs. Kari Lynn Straley) make the decision to turn my attention, thoughts and heart toward Christ. If it is wondrous, it will be because I take the time to recognize the wonder that exists all-around me. If it is magical, it will be because I choose to let the love of a god-baby enter this heart of stone and pull me into a life and adventure beyond my wildest imagination. 


Emmanuel: God WITH us. 


Wow. When I stop to just let that sink in, it is absolutely


Beautiful. Wondrous. Magical.



2 comments:

  1. LOL! I'm digging the masculine Mrs. Clause! Hope you guys are doing well. Love staying updated. Give "Yoda" dog a hug. :)

    ReplyDelete