Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Day in the Life...

I actually enjoy blogging... I didn't think I would, but I do.

My problem is that I'm not really good at it. The smallest number of days will go by like a flash and I don't have the chance to sit down and write- and then suddenly I'm overwhelmed. Then it's all over. There has been too much that has happened and my poor little brain hasn't nearly had the chance to process or make any sense out of it. How in the world am I supposed to 'sum up' all the conversations, nuances, emotional up's and down's and daily drama into a whitty and composed paragraph for the world?
So world, forgive me for my lack of whit and possibly for my failure at making any sense at all, but mostly for my procrastination that comes from the result of both.

Here is what I can eek out about today:

Every morning I wake up at 5:00am (it seems silly now to think of how annoyed I would get at my puppy when he used to wake me up at 7:30am for his breakfast). I don't take a shower, because that would be rather pointless. Instead, I do what I can with my bed-hair and plop down at the computer to check out if there are any urgent e-mails for the day. Most of the time there are, but it is a toss up whether or not I am actually awake enough to deal with them yet. More often than not, the sound of Dan cooking (Yes- he cooks! He takes care of almost all breakfast prep every morning! LOVE it!) down in the kitchen and the knowledge that there is a fresh pot of delicious Dominican coffee brewing, lures me downstairs.

This morning we tried round 2 of Baked French Toast. The first time I made it, it stuck to the pan like crazy and got rather burnt- boo. But we took the necessary precautions and it was quite yummy today :) I think it's gonna be a keeper. Breakfast is a semi-organized chaos most mornings- especially with a group of 40 people. Add translators, and other helpers/staff on top of that and we have about 60 people moving through our dining area and kitchen in every which direction. They are supposed to be on the road to their various work sites by 8:00am, but we are in a Latin American country and, as such, follow their time standards well ;) Once everyone is finally on the road or settled into the work that they are supposed to be doing, it is usually about 9:00am.

This morning, Carmelina (the woman who croquets various items to sell for us) stopped by with a few new items to drop off and she also brought me a new fruit that I've never seen before. Margo told me that it's called Guanabana- and I love it!


It has the weirdest texture of any fruit ever- so for those of you who know me and my food texture issues, it is saying a lot that I like it as much as I do! I'm hoping to make an awesome fruit smoothie out of it later- Not a bad way to avoid funky textures ;)
Today was a big cooking day. Margo actually started on today's dinner, yesterday afternoon. One of the guys in the group requested that she make a dish called "Sancocho". Sancocho basically just means "stew", so there are many different kinds/ways to make it- but this time she went all out and made us Sancocho de Chivo...Goat Stew... and it was AWESOME. I am so lucky to live somewhere where all the food is so stinkin delicious.
Just realized that most of my post has been about food... I think I've spent a little too much time in the kitchen lately. More about non-food related stuff later!

1 comment:

  1. Kari, I hear you. All of my blog posts (and spare moments) show how obsessed I am with food :) Splurged on sushi this weekend, but Dan's was better. I love reading about your new lives in the DR and I can't wait to visit you there-- I miss you and love you. And jealous of the coffee. very, very jealous.

    ReplyDelete