Sunday, May 22, 2011

What Do I Know of Holy?

"I think I made you too small, I never feared you at all, no...
But then I caught a glimpse of who you might be, 
the slightest hint of You, brought me down to my knees"



Here's a song that's been running through my head for the past few weeks. The video is kinda lame and kooky, but the words make it one of those, "this is kinda where I'm at right now" songs.
I guess I've been realizing lately how I've never really understood the concept of "fearing" God. Why fear him when I could call him "dad" and "best friend"??
To my frustration though, I have felt that God has been distancing himself from me. Even though all my prayers were to know him more, I have found myself continually confused and feel like I know/understand him less than ever.
It wasn't until this song popped on the other day that I started to realize that that in itself was my answer. In order to know God more, I must learn to fear him as God- it is a side of him that I have never explored. To truly see him as an unknowable, all mighty, and uncontrollable force- God the lion instead of only God the lamb. It is the kind of God that I cannot control or predict. It makes me feel pretty small, like I really am just standing at the shore of his ocean.
So, as usual, I continue to underwhelm myself by my progress and understanding as a Christian, but continue to be completely OVERWHELMED by God. How incredible is it that he is able to find ways to speak to me and teach me and answer me even in his silence?


1 comment:

  1. thank you for sharing this, and for your consistent vulnerability. you are so encouraging to me. i love you.

    ReplyDelete