Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Today's top priorities: Build an ark, bake a cake.

"Hispaniola's weather goes downhill Tuesday night and Wednesday with heavy rain, flooding, land slides and strong winds."

That's what weather.com says about tropical storm Emily that apparently is on it's way towards us as we speak in all of it's impending doom. It's hard to believe that a tropical storm will most likely hit tonight when I look outside and hearing the birds chirping and the sun shining down and everything seems pretty... perfect. I guess I'll believe it when I'm up to my knees in it, haha.  Either way, I'm making my way around the guesthouse this morning, moving important things to higher ground and getting us "hurricane ready" (as if a girl from Minnesota knows a thing about how to prepare for a hurricane- not really a skill I thought I'd need in life).

In dryer news, today is Jhonny (one of our translator's) birthday! Kamanda and I dreamed up a "drum" cake that I've been working on... I'm pretty sure that it'll taste better than it looks. Here's my progress...

It started off well... the shape was right(ish)

But then I tried to make red frosting and it ran out too quickly...I ended up with pink
Then the heat got to it and it started going all alice-in-wonderland on me! 

Tried to add blue candles to make it look slightly more manly... definitely gave up on it looking like a drum at all. Haha, good thing it at least tasted delicious! I think I'm sticking to flat, boring cakes from now on...

No comments:

Post a Comment