Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"This has never happened before!"

Nothing can sum up our first few days here in the Dominican Republic as well as that phrase!

Coming to a brand new country, new job, new life, Dan and I were expecting to be met with tons of new and unusual experiences; however, after living here for nearly 3 years, I don't think that Joe and Shannon were expecting this weekend to be filled with quite so many "firsts". From wacky group arrival times, to trouble with drugs and medical supply suitcases at the airport, to someone coding during surgery in the clinic today, it has been an eventful week to say the least! Thank goodness for Shannon and Joe being the pro's that they are and for a wonderful group that has been so giving and flexible.
To be honest, Dan and I are both feeling grateful in a lot of ways for the week that we have had, we figure it is best for us to see all the craziest ups and downs of the jobs the first week so the ones after this will seem "easy" (or at least that's what Shannon and Joe keep telling us! haha). We are learning more every day and I can definitely see this place feeling like home someday very soon.

Also, we had the chance to go with a few people from the group as they went to meet their sponsor children tonight as well. What a wonderful experience! Most of the individuals or couples have been sponsoring the child for many years and have had a chance to meet up with them every time they come down. What a cool experience to really become a part of someone's life and watch them grow and learn. I especially love to see people building those God kind of relationships that cross all the language, age and culture barriers :)

Overall, I find myself smiling from the inside out again. I am exactly where I am supposed to be and I can't think of a better feeling in the world. I had a few moments for quiet time this afternoon and it felt like God was just smiling back and me and kinda telling me to sit back and enjoy this ride that he is starting me on. I feel like he really wants to increase my faith- which will most likely look like us facing some pretty God-sized problems only to wait and receive his God-sized answers. So scary, but so good! (so if you hear me freaking out about some crazy things going on in the next few weeks/months...kindly remind me about this entry I wrote and that God did warn me that it was coming).

I think tomorrow I will try to take my camera around with me and take some pictures that I can post, so you can skip my ramblings and just get to the fun stuff :)

Remember how much we love to hear from all of you and we are sending our love and hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment